• bsmswebsite

MC DONALD’S LATEST ADS TAKE MINIMALISM TO THE EXTREME

(and they do it successfully)

With the new Mc Donald’s minimalist ads (released on October 2017), it seems that advertising agency TBWA Paris assimilated the “less is more” lesson, pushing it even further. In its latest ads for the fast-food colossal, the food –with exception for some crumbs left behind – has disappeared. What’s still there, against a colourful background, are only the empty packages of the brand’s best sellers –like Big Mac or Chicken McNuggets – suggesting that they have already been devoured by an impatient customer. What it’s more remarkable is that there’s nothing more. Despite the two Golden Arches, sometimes the name of the product is not even mentioned.


THE FIRST UNBRANDED MARKETING CAMPAIGN

TBWA’s attempt to depict Mc Donald’s in the most minimalistic way traces back to summer 2013. In fact, it launched a new marketing campaign based on uniquely close up photographs of the food, where neither the logo appeared. In 2014 –anticipating the trend of the previously described ads – “Pictograms” were introduced: simple, clean drawings of the most iconic products, now turned into iconics.

The (nearly) unbranded marketing campaign was carried on till this fall, reaching some of its best results. The sophisticate bokeh effect (for who’s not keen in photography, and neither I am, it’s the blur caused by the out-of-focus points of light) perfectly reinforced Mc Donald’s message “Open till late”;

By removing the food, minimalism was taken beyond the extreme.



MINIMALISTIC ADS ARE EFFECTIVE (ONLY IF YOU ARE CALLED MC DONALD’S)

Have you ever had dinner at a Mc Donald’s in your life? There are two possible answers to this question: the first one, chosen by 98% of all you, is “Yes”. The remaining 2% who answered “No”-liars- has probably now adopted a healthy/vegan nutrition regime, and are ashamed to admit the truth. However, the point is that everyone in the world knows Mc Donald’s. The fast-food giant counts more than 36 thousand restaurants worldwide, both in the wealthier and in the poorest nations. There’s no point in adding a catchy caption or in developing a detailed advertisement: the food is perfectly recognizable, and it speaks for himself. And this is its strength: no other –or at least few- company in the world can succeed in an unbranded marketing campaign such as the minimalist one launched by TBWA four years ago.


Are we in front of a revolutionary way of making marketing, or is it just Mc Donald’s presumption?

Written by: Priscilla Greggio

Edited by: Axel Castiglioni

2 views0 comments